Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Happy Birthday?

One of my friends works in a very public job as a television reporter. As a result, he often has uncomfortable public encounters with viewers in which total strangers approach him, in a restaurant or the grocery store, as if they've known him for years. Given that he appears in their domestic space on a regular basis, I guess people feel like they know him. More than knowing him, they have no qualms about voicing their opinions about his hairstyle, his sexuality, his wardrobe or his work. In his time on the air, he's had more than his fair share of weird encounters with viewers, both face-to-face and via email.

Today is my friend's birthday and he just received the following bit of viewer mail:

You don't know me and I don't know you but for some reason I have it marked on my calendar that today is your birthday. If that's true, then Happy Birthday. I must say I was surprised that a conservative organization as [your station] would hire such a flamer as yourself but you showed us all how really good work speaks for itself. We are lucky to have you, Mr. [friend's last name].

Sincerely, (The viewer signed her name and gave her address)

No comments: